Everything about testing your PC for malicious software
When PC starts working with failures there can be several reasons for it. The most widespread are malicious programs. However, it’s easy to find them out on your own. What to do in this case?
Before checking it’s necessary to know if a computer is really infected or not. The most typical symptoms of computer disease are as follows:
- Slow and unstable work of PC, resets, processor is 100% loaded;
- messages about mistakes; files and folders were deleted or changed;
- programs and files open;
- there are strange sounds;
- operating system doesn’t load when you switch on the computer;
- browser works wrong.
In a few words, it seems that computer is operated by someone else. To be exact, by a virus program. That’s why virus scan is obligatory.
There are some methods:
- The most widespread program is Dr.Web CureIt. It’s easy to use, doesn’t conflict with existing anti-virus software, doesn’t need installation and absolutely free.
- Microsoft Safety Scanner scans a PC for viruses and spyware. It’s a trial version valid for 10 days.
- There are also similar scanners made by anti-virus software producers: scanners from Kaspersky, McAfee, NORTON, AVZ, Trend Micro, etc.; on-line computer scanning by ESET, Panda, BitDefender and other.
- онлайн-проверки файла компьютера. Здесь, в отличие от предыдущего пункта, проверяется не весь ПК целиком, а выбранный файл, On-line scanners check only chosen suspicious file. This service is provided by Avast, Dr,Web, VirSCAN, VirusTotal, etc.
- It’s better to scan a PC in safe mode (push F8 when switching on a PC). This advice can also be useful for those users who cannot get to desktop (operating system doesn’t load, BSOD, black screen or a banner appear). Moreover, such scanning is the most efficient because most of services and drivers don’t load in this mode;
- It’s more efficient to fulfill complete check than an express one because some viruses are well hidden; If scanning is carried out in customary mode it’s better to switch off the Internet;
- User should have LiveCD software which can help to recover data if scanning fails;
- Prevention of virus infection is more efficient than virus removal. That’s why you should remember that a computer should be protected by antivirus software with the latest virus definitions. It’s desirable to install plug-in which would block pop-up ads, and to check unknown programs and files with special on-line scanners.
They say: ‘Forewarned is forearmed’. Every user should know the main sources of threat for PC:
- Internet is the main source of viruses, namely web sites containing malicious code. A PC can be infected when using strange link or downloading software from unverified websites;
- E-mail, namely, letters with attachments. A PC can be infected when downloading attached files;
- Defects in software, also called ‘holes’. Using them malefactor can get remote access to PC;
- External media such as external Winchesters and memory sticks, flash drives, etc.